- Competition Events
- Player List
- Event Player List
- Other Registration Info
- Cancellation Policy
- Players Needing Partners
- 2023 USAP Diamond Qualifier Info
- Open: 03/04/23
- Closed: 05/20/23
- Starts: 06/06/23
- Ends: 06/11/23
- Cancellation Deadline: 05/20/23
1001 SportsPlex Parkway
Opelika,, AL 36801
- Player's age as of: 12/31/23
- Minimum Age of Player: 8
- Final Registration Deadline (Received by): 05/20/23
- Membership required as of: 06/12/23
- Tournament Sanctioning: Sanctioned - MMP
- Registration, Ages: 19+ - $95.00
- Junior Registration - JR EVENTS ONLY, Ages: 8-18 - $20.00
- Opelika Pickleball Club Member Discount - $10.00
- When registering online, online waiver signature is used.
- Online payment via PayPal is available. PayPal also allows credit card payments.
- Primary Ball: Franklin X-Performance 40
- Surface: Asphalt
- Net: Permanent
- Outdoor: Yes-Covered
For current information on the tournament and the venue please see our welcome page. If an event is full, you may still enter and you will be moved to the waitlist. If we have an opening, you will be moved into the active bracket. If you do not play in the tournament because the bracket was full, we will refund your registration fee minus an administrative fee.
Event Player List
2023 USAPA Atlantic South Regional Diamond Amateur Championship
June 6-11, 2023
This event will be a qualifier for the 2023 USA Pickleball Diamond Amateur Championship to be held at Pictona Pickleball Complex in Holly Hill, FL December 3-10, 2023.
Please scroll to the bottom of this document to get more details for the Diamond Amateur Championship qualifications and benefits.
The USA Pickleball Atlantic South Diamond Regional Pickleball Tournament will be returning to the Opelika Pickleball Facility in Opelika, Alabama. This beautiful facility features twenty-four covered, dedicated, individually fenced courts.
Click to view Facilities Live Feed.
June 6, 7 and 8, will be for players age groups 60+ and up, June 9, 10 and 11 will be for players age groups 55+ and below. This format should allow us to get more players involved and still finish each day at a reasonable time.
The first day of each age bracket will be men's doubles and women's singles, with mixed doubles on the second day and woman's doubles and men's singles the third day of each three-day set.
The 2023 USA Pickleball Rulebook will be followed to decide the winners in round robin and double elimination brackets.
All round robin matches will be played to 15, win by 2.
The tournament director reserves the right to change the bracket format depending on bracket size and total events that day.
Medals will be awarded for the skill/age event you registered for, even if there are combined brackets. Combined bracket formats will be "Round Robin" if possible.
Registration fee is $95.00. This includes up to three events. You will receive a confirmation email when you register and pay. Please double check that you are in your proper age / skill bracket. You must pay to be completely registered.
You may play in either age bracket above 60 or below 60 (55+ and below), but in only one bracket. For example if you play in Women's Doubles 60+, you could not play in Women's Doubles under 60. You could play in Mixed Doubles 55+ and lower but not also Mixed Doubles 60+, etc.
We are working on hotel rates, which will be announced as we get closer to the tournament registration dates.
The USA Pickleball Diamond Amateur Championship qualification information
The USA Pickleball Diamond Amateur Championship will be held Dec. 3-10 and hosted by Pictona at Holly Hill in Florida—one of the nation’s finest facilities, featuring 49 courts. Diamond Amateur Championship gold medalists will earn Golden Tickets—the ability to pre-register—for the 2024 USA Pickleball National Championships.
USA Pickleball Diamond Amateur Championship Qualification:
- All gold and silver medalists from the 12 Diamond Amateur Regional tournaments are eligible and can then pre-register during Phase I of the registration process. Please note that winning gold or silver does not guarantee automatic placement in the event, as all players must still pre-register and pay to secure their spot.
- All other participants from Diamond Amateur Regional tournaments are eligible to register during Phase II, pending availability within individual brackets.
- All current USA Pickleball members are eligible to register during Phase III, pending availability within individual brackets.
- ALL PLAYERS MUST BE A CURRENT USA PICKLEBALL MEMBER at time of registration through end of the Diamond Amateur Championship. Renew your membership here.
Additional Player Information:
- Combined brackets in the Diamond Regionals will award medals, as well as pre-registration for Gold and Silver medalists, for the Diamond Amateur Championship within each event that comprises the combined bracket.
- All players that participate in a 2023 Diamond Regional tournament become eligible to take part in the lottery for the 2023 USA Pickleball National Championship.
- Likewise, combined brackets in the Diamond Amateur Championship will award medals. In addition, gold medal winners of all brackets, including combined brackets winners, will receive Golden Tickets to the 2024 USA Pickleball National Championships.
- Players that are registered to play in a 70+, 75+, or 80+ brackets in a Diamond Regional tournament and the bracket must be combined due to a lack of teams, ALL players in said bracket will receive a Diamond Passport to the Diamond Amateur Championships. This is to encourage more participation in Diamond Regional events for 70 and above age groups.
- A doubles player is not required to play alongside the same partner with whom he/she earned eligibility for Phase I pre-registration. However, if the new replacement partner did not also qualify for Phase I pre-registration, the doubles team will not be able to register until either Phase II or Phase III.
- All events, including singles, will offer a pool-play format. If there are not enough teams for pool play, then a round-robin bracket will be played.
- The top-four teams (from each pool or round-robin bracket) will move forward to the next round.
- All pool-play matches, as well as all pre-medal matches, will be one game to 15, win by two points. The medal matches will be best two-out-of-three games, win by two points.
- The gold-medal winners of each event will earn a Golden Ticket to the 2024 USA Pickleball National Championships.
- This is a MMP format with our goal to have referees for all matches.
Tentative Registration Schedule:
Phase 1 Pre-Registration: Early October 2023
Phase 2 Lottery: Mid-October 2023
Phase 3 Open Registration: Mid/Late October 2023
Food Trucks will be on-site.
Lodging / Accommodations
DEADLINE: Book by May 22, 2023 to receive rate
DETAILS: Click to Book
PHONE: (334) 745-4311
DISTANCE: 12 minutes or 7.7 miles to Opelika Sportsplex
MICROTEL INN & SUITES AT TIGER TOWN
DEADLINE: Book by May 22, 2023 to receive rate DETAILS: Click to Book
PHONE: (334) 528-0716
DIRECTIONS: 12 minutes or 7.6 miles to Opelika Sportsplex
DEADLINE: Book by May 21, 2023 to receive rate
DETAILS: Click to Book
PHONE: (334) 737-5155
LA QUINTA INN & SUITES OPELIKA/AUBURN
DEADLINE: Book by May 22, 2023 to receive rate
DETAILS: Click to Book
PHONE: (334) 748-9000
DIRECTIONS: 10 minutes or 7.0 miles to Opelika Sportsplex
BEST WESTERN AUBURN-OPELIKA INN
DEADLINE: Book by May 1, 2023 to receive rate
DETAILS: For booking contact hotel directly and
reference “Atlantic South Diamond Regional 2023”
PHONE: (334) 745-6293
MARRIOTT RESORT & SPA AT GRAND NATIONAL
DEADLINE: Book by May 12, 2023 to receive rate
DETAILS: Click to Book
PHONE: (334) 741-9292
DISTANCE: 16 minutes or 8.3 miles to Opelika Sportsplex
THIS INFORMATION PROUDLY PROVIDED BY AUBURN-OPELIKA TOURISM. FOR A FULL SELECTION OF AREA HOTELS OR MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE VISIT AOTOURISM.COM OR CONTACT BROOKE@AOTOURISM.COM. 334.501.3283
Other Registration Info
2023 Regional Championships
Please Note: There will be an early registration for Atlantic South Ambassadors and players who supported our 2022 Regional Event.
There are several important changes being implemented by USA Pickleball in 2023, including;
- The 12 Regional Championships will culminate in the Diamond Amateur Championship taking place December 2023 at Pictona in Holly Hill, Florida. Gold Medalists from the 2023 Diamond Amateur Championship will earn pre-registration opportunities (Golden Tickets) to the following year’s 2024 National Championships in Indian Wells.
- Gold and Silver Medalists from the Regional tournaments will earn pre-registration opportunities to the Diamond Amateur Championship at Pictona. All other participants from the Regional Championships will be eligible for the lottery into the Diamond Amateur Championship.
- Gold, Silver and Bronze Medalists from Regional Championships will be eligible for the lottery into the 2023 National Championships in Indian Wells.
Looking ahead to the 2024 season, the following qualifying procedures for the National Championships in Indian Wells will be added:
- Gold Medalists from the 2023 Diamond Amateur Championship at Pictona will receive pre-registration opportunities (Golden Tickets) to the 2024 National Championships in Indian Wells.
- Silver and Bronze Medalists from the 2023 Diamond Amateur Championship at Pictona will be eligible for Phase 1 of the 2024 National Championships lottery. If openings remain after Phase 1, all Medalists from the 2024 Regional tournaments will be eligible for Phase 2 of the National Championships lottery.
If you click ‘Return and Sign Out’, before you pay, then you will not be registered!
YOUR REGISTRATION IN AN EVENT (OR A WAIT LIST EVENT) DOES NOT CONSTITUTE BEING INCLUDED THE TOURNAMENT IF YOU AND YOUR PARTNER DO NOT BOTH PAY BY THE END OF THE REGISTRATION PROCESS.
Please remember to pay your registration fee prior to signing out.
Withdrawal from tournament prior to 5/19/23 will result in a full refund less $5 administration fee. After the cancellation date of 5/19/23 refunds will be at the discretion of the tournament directors with a minimum adminstrative fee of $20.00.
Refunds will not be issued until after the tournament has concluded, June 11, 2023. All refunds will be issued by June 30, 2023.
INCLEMENT WEATHER POLICY - Although all 24 courts are covered, this is still considered an outdoor tournament. If weather is a factor, we will do all we can to play matches. There will be up to a 50% refund for weather related cancellation.
1001 SportsPlex Parkway
Opelika, AL 36801
Click here for a Google map link to the venue.
If traveling I-85 North between Montgomery and Opelika, take EXIT 64 and turn LEFT at end of ramp. If traveling I-85 South from Atlanta, use exit 64 and turn right at the end of the exit ramp. Travel on to the round about and take the second exit, as if going straight. From there continue straight for 1 mile and the Opelika SportsPlex will be on your LEFT. Bear right when entering the parking lot. The pickleball courts and parking are located at the rear of the main building. Look for additional signage for parking near the pickleball courts.
Traveling US Hwy 280 until you reach Veterans Parkway. Take a left at the traffic light. Follow Veterans Parkway until you reach Oak Bowery Road. Take a left at the three-way stop. Follow Oak Bowery Road until you reach Morris Avenue. Take a right at the stop sign. Follow Morris Avenue until your reach Lafayette Parkway. Take a right at the stop sign. Follow Lafayette Parkway until you reach Lake Condy Road. Take a left at the traffic light. Follow Lake Condy until you reach Andrews Road. Take a left onto Andrews Road. Follow Andrews Road until you reach SportsPlex Parkway. Take a right and then turn right into the Opelika SportsPlex. Bear right when entering the parking lot. The pickleball courts and parking are located at the rear of the main building. Look for additional signage for parking near the pickleball courts.
USA Pickleball Rules apply.
Only USAP approved paddles permitted.
Players may be called to play as early as 30 minutes prior to their scheduled start time, however if tournament is running ahead of schedule and all players for the bracket are checked in, we may start even earlier.
Per USA Pickleball rules, all games are win by 2 points.
All adult events will be skill/age.
Skill levels: 3.0, 3.5, 4.0, 4.5, and 5.0
Ages: 19+, 35+, 50+, 55+, 60+, 65+, 70+, 75+, 80+
Junior events will be age only.
Ages: 12U, 14U, 18U
8+ teams/players (May be Round Robin if combined brackets.)
Winners bracket - 2 out of 3 games to 11 points
Consolation bracket - 1 game to 15 points
Medal matches - 2 out of 3 games to 11 points. If consolation bracket wins 2 out of 3 games to 11, then a 1 game to 15 points tie breaker game will be played to determine winner.
3 & 4 Teams - Double Round Robin. 1 to 15--Win by 2
5, 6 & 7 Teams - Single Round Robin. 1 to 15--Win by 2
Will have 3 and 4-team brackets only if absolutely necessary.
No medal matches. Finished determined in each age group following USAP tie-breaker rules listed in 12.C.3 (2021 edition.)
In case of a tie, the winner of a tied group is determined first and then excluded from the group. The tie-breaking process is repeated with the remaining teams and iterated until all ordinal placements have been determined within the originally tied group.
Combined (merged or blended) brackets:
Medals awarded by registration age group and skill level.
* Tournament Director reserves the right to change format of play based on participation, weather, and other factors.
Email: Bill Hess
Assistant Tournament Director
Email: Chuck Blackshear
Email: Jim Young
Email: Donna Angarano
Email: Tom Richardson